Thursday, July 14, 2011

Saving the Horror

For a while now I have been working on my own little ghost story anthology project. I wanted 12 stories and I'm 6 in at the moment. Handsome had been asking about them, but I haven't been able to read them to him, or give them to him to read himself because they haven't exactly been appropriate for an eight year old. The last two however, numbers 5 and 6 in the series ... might be. Especially #5. The working title is "My Pal Stinky", and since I sometimes call Handsome by that name as well, he thought for a  while it was a story about him.
It's not.
It is supposed to be funny, though. For the most part. I think he'd like some of it, and I like the story itself, but it has some technical issues and I think it's going to need a lot of editing. A lot of 'cutting', since I tend to overwrite and make things very wordy. I'm working on that.
So anyway, I offered to read "My Pal Stinky" to Handsome this evening, and he said yes. I warned him that it is the 1st draft and may be wordy, and that if it becomes too much for him he can call a halt to it without hurting my feelings or anything. He said okay, and I went to take a shower.
After the shower I approached him with he rough draft in my hand.
"Can I have it tomorrow instead?" he said.
"Tomorrow? Sure," I said, "but why?"
"I might not be in the mood for the horror. I'd rather try it tomorrow."
"But this one's not really scary," I told him. "This is the one that's kind of funny."
"Oh," he said, "it's not that. You said it might stink, and be too wordy, even for you ..."
I looked at him blankly for a moment.
"Ah," I said, finally. "That horror."
"Yup." He grinned as he watched comprehension dawn on me. "That horror!"

The little smart-ass!

I can't complain, really. He gets it from me.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment