Saturday, February 18, 2012

Small Fry

So this afternoon I was running a bit late trying to get Handsome somewhere. Handsome said he was hungry, and I realized I had neglected to make the boys lunch. The worst part is that one of the 'boys' in that equation was me! I subsequently pulled a sharp left turn out of traffic and into the McDonald's drive-through.

Now, what I got for myself is pretty much immaterial to this story. This is about what Handsome got when we drove up to the second window, the one where they hand out the hot, mostly edible objects hereafter referred to as 'the food'. When I paused at the ordering speaker, the one where they scream out something unintelligible at you as a signal that you are to then give them your order, and then you bellow your order back at them while silently praying that their microphone system is better than their speaker. You have to keep an eye on the 'Your Order' screen they type on, because McDonald's has become much like the Chinese food restaurant downtown; you say what you want, and they repeat it back to you, and what they say doesn't sound anything like what you just ordered. I just shout out my order and roll up the window, reading the screen through the glass. Listening to them only seems to confuse me anyway.

But on to the 'food'. I ordered Handsome the same thing he always gets - a Chicken McNugget Happy Meal, with a side of chicken nuggets and an extra small fries. By that I mean an additional small fries. At least, I thought I did.

We got the food. We drove away. Handsome opened his Happy Meal, complained about the toy (without actually knowing what the heck it was) and pulled out his fries. And stared.

He brought them to my attention. I also stared.

Inside the Happy Meal there is usually a small order of french fries. Apparently, that will no longer be the case. In Handsome's hand was a tiny order of french fries. Rather than the usual small order in a paper bag, there was a cardboard box that looked like a large order of fries, but it was tiny. Minute. Infinitesimal. 


The little tiny box held approximately ten, yes, ten french fries. I saved the box. It looks like this:





And just in case you are thinking I simply have huge hands, here's a regular old pair of sunglasses for scale.



Not much bigger than the lens, is it?


And there you have it. The extra small fries. It's about half the size of an actual small order.

But twice as cute.

My favorite part of all this was Handsome's reaction to it. When I saw the tiny box I opened my mouth to ask a question, the only thing that popped into my mind. I head my question but it was in Handsome's voice, as he'd beaten me to the punch with my own word.

"Seriously?"

He looked from the fries to me.

"Seriously?"

Then back to the fries.

"Seriously..."

Yup. Seriously.

So, if you're looking to simply get the smell and taste of french fries, without the actual fries, head out to McDonald's.

They've got what you're looking for.

Talk to you later!

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha!!! I got one this week also...and I saved and posted images of my 'fry box' too!

    ReplyDelete