Monday, February 13, 2012

I Am The Keymaster

Well, I'm back at work today after a whole week off.  The morning was going well, I managed to get to work on time. It might have helped that the plane landed at 5:00 this morning, so all I had to do was stay awake. One of the first people I talked to this morning when I arrived at the office was DL, the guy who delivered my route for me while I was gone. He had an interesting story to tell me.

There is a house toward the end of my route that has 4 apartments in it. Recently, they left me a note, taped to the mailboxes in the front hall, along with a key. The note said the key was for me, as they were going to start locking the front door and I would be needing to get in to deliver the mail. Since they had not gone through the process of having a key-keeper attached to their porch somewhere, that meant I was stuck with this extra key I had to carry around with my route keys. This also meant I had to tell DL about the new key on my route keys, and what it was for. I told him I had not been able to talk to them about mounting a key-keeper box somewhere on their porch, and that if he saw them and felt like it he could broach the subject with them. Since it's my route however, I told him not to worry about it if he didn't feel like it, and I'd try to get in touch with them when I got back.

That brings us to this morning. I got to the office, and DL came over to me to brief me on what had been happening on my route while I was gone. He told me a few things, and then he sort of laughed.

"Oh, and here's my favorite thing that happened while you were gone," he said.

"Okay, shoot." I said.

"Remember that key you had for that front hall? And you were wondering about a key-keeper for them?"

"Yeah," I said. "You talked to them for me?"

"No," he said. "Better. I'd been using the key like they wanted us to, right?"

"Okay..."

"I got out there about half-way through the week, and I didn't have to use the key."

I just looked at him.

"Someone had kicked the door in before I got there," he said.

"You're kidding me!" I said.

"Nope." He grinned. "And there was a note taped to the boxes. It said 'Do not lock this door!'"

I thought about it for a moment, then smiled back.

"Well," I said, "I guess I don't have to worry about trying to place a key-keeper out there."

I held up a hand for a high-five, which I got.

"Thanks for handling that for me."

"No problem, glad to do it."

He shot me with a forefinger.

"Welcome back!"

"Thanks, man."

***************************

And that's how my workday began.

Talk to you  later!

No comments:

Post a Comment