Friday, August 12, 2011

Jury Duty

I haven't been called for jury duty since I was 18. I didn't get chosen when I was 18, but I was called, and I went down to the courthouse to serve. That was 24 years ago, and I haven't received a summons since.

How did I go 24 years without ever getting summoned?
Who do I know?
In other words, what's my secret?

I have no idea.
Honestly, I've watched people around me get the summons, I've seen people taking time off from work to go, I've delivered countless notifications of the summons to people, and I've heard all kinds of stories about people having, getting out of, and being chosen for, jury duty. And in the midst of all this judicial responsibility I have floated untouched, free as a dandelion clock blown on the wind.

And I've enjoyed it.

A few months ago this dandelion clock came crashing down, and I was tethered to the ground to float free no more.
I received the summons in the mail.

*sigh*

I tried to keep a stiff upper lip. I tried to do everything I could to make the experience as pleasant as possible. I responded to the summons online, and promptly. I filled out the questionnaire they sent for me to bring in with me. I alerted my workplace, and got the day off. I GoogleMapped  the way to the courthouse to which I was assigned (they did not send me to my local court), and even programmed it into the GPS in my car so as to be ready for the big day. There was only one hiccup: I filled out my leave slip incorrectly at work. I did not realize there was a special way to fill it out to account for jury duty. It was a near thing, since I'm scheduled to appear on Monday and today is Friday, but I got that little situation all squared away this morning. I couldn;t think of a single thing more to do to get ready.

Then I checked my E-mail when I got out of work this afternoon. I had an e-mail from the Office of the Jury Commissioner waiting in my in-box. I steeled myself, and I opened it.

YOUR JURY SERVICE HAS BEEN CANCELLED BY THE COURT.YOU SHOULD NOT REPORT FOR SERVICE ON 8/15/2011.

We appreciate your willingness to serve, but due to the changing needs of the court, your service is no longer required.We apologize for any inconvenience this cancellation may cause.



I. Am. Teflon!

Talk to you later!

2 comments: