Saturday, August 27, 2011

Handsome's Birthday Weekend - Day II

Today was day 2 of the Handsome Birthday Weekend. Yesterday was the kid/friends party, today was the family party. The party was at the in-law's house, and was scheduled to start at 6 pm. We, on the other hand, were supposed to be there by 4 pm latest. I couldn't figure out why. I was figuring we'd get there, the in-laws were putting it on, I'd do a few things and relax until it was time for people to start arriving.
Or so I thought.
As soon as we got there I was sent out to drive through the rain heralding the arrival of Hurricane Irene and pick up the cake. No worries, it was just up the street at the store. But there was a small list that went along with it.

  • Cake
  • Pepsi
  • Ginger Ale
  • Cheese-Its
I went to the store, picked up all that stuff and headed back to the house. I picked up the phone I had left charging in the Jeep and brought the stuff inside.
"Did you get the message?"
"What message?"
"We forgot to put something on the list. We need ice cream."
"Right. Okay... I'll be right back."
Back out in the rain I went. Back to the store, through the same checkout line I used before, and back to the house with the ice cream.
"Did you get the message?"
"What message?"
"Handsome is hungry. We wanted you to pick something up at McDonald's for him tp eat before people got here."
I checked my phone. No voicemail, no missed call. No nothing.
"Um... no, I didn't get the message."
I took Handsome's order and went back out into the rain. Through the drive-through. I would have pressed one for English, but, sadly, it was not offered me. Got my order in, paid and picked it up, drove back to the house.
As I climbed the stairs to the living room where everyone was waiting I heard my father-in-law say "Did he get the message about the chilli?"
I sighed so loudly they all heard me and laughed. It was a joke, and I was happy. Wet, but happy.  I had about 30 minutes before anyone was due to arrive, so I went to dry off.
And take a nap. So much for relaxing until people showed up. I was exhausted!

The rest of the party went off without a hitch.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment