Thursday, September 22, 2011

Man, That Word Sounds Hinky!

I was talking about something this morning, and I described it to the person I was talking to as 'hinky'. I always remember the first time I heard that word. It was during the movie "The Fugitive":

Marshal Biggs: This is hinky, this guy's a college graduate, he went to medical school, he's not gonna come through all the security, go to the county lockup, to find someone his one people say does not exist. Hinky.
Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: Well, what does that mean Biggs, 'hinky'?
Marshal Biggs: I don't know. Strange.
Marshal Henry: Weird.
Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: Well, why don't you say strange or weird? I mean hinky, that has no meaning.
Marshal Biggs: Well, we say hinky.
Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: I don't want you guys using words around me that have no meaning. I'm taking the stairs and walking.
Marshal Biggs: [sotto voice] How about 'bullshit?' How about 'bullshit', Sam? 



So I started thinking about words like 'hinky', words that lots of people may have never heard of and I decided to throw a few in here for your enjoyment. Some of them I've heard, some I made up. 


I'm not telling which is which.



  • Himple
    • A painful and embarrassing pimple in a place that only a man can get one. On a thing where a woman could not get a pimple. I'm not drawing any diagrams here, folks. My mother reads this thing!
  • Grinching
    • When something happens, someone does something, and it makes your heart swell; in effect, making it 'grow three sizes that day'. 
      • Example - "I opened the door and Johnny was standing there holding the biggest, most beautiful bunch of roses I had ever seen. He held them out to me, but I was so flummoxed I just stood there grinching."




  • Ffulb
    • The opposite of a bluff. When you bluff, you fake someone out by appearing stronger than you really are. With a Ffulb you do it by appearing weaker. My earliest example of this was from my mother. I was about 9 or 10, and there was a guy who was really trying to sell her a Christmas tree. She didn't want the tree, but this guy wasn't taking 'no' for an answer. My mother suddenly sounded flustered, unsure of herself, and not really very bright. "Oh, I really don't know. My husband usually makes all these decisions..." Mr. Pushy kind of nodded to himself and put the tree aside, realizing he was only talking to 'the little woman' of the household. We were free to walk back to the car, and I was free to look at this woman next to me and wonder who she was and what she had done with my real mother. She had just Ffulbed her way out of it.
  • Lateface
    • A derivation of 'Game-face'. Say you are late for an engagement of some kind. A gathering, a get-together, an appointment, it doesn't really matter. As you are driving over, you set your face into a thunderous frown, ready to be seen by anyone watching for you out of a window or keeping an eye on the parking lot. This expression is intended to aid you in selling the story about the traffic jam, or the idiot driver who made you late so no one will suspect the truth; that you simply overslept or forgot. If you have a really angry expression it can occasionally forestall any inquiry at all! When your frown is set, and you are ready to be seen as you enter that parking lot, you my friend are wearing your Lateface.
  • Whupeepy
    • A combination of 'whups!' and 'creepy'. The feeling you get when you look up from the horror story you have been reading, or the scary movie you just watched, and notice that while the sun was high and bright when you started reading or watching, it somehow managed to go down while your mind was occupied with the frightening story. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now not so much as you realize that you are alone in the house/apartment/condo and, except for the pool of light thrown by your reading lamp or the television screen, the place is completely dark and shadowy, and you're not even sure -
                                                 -What was that sound?


There. Five new terms for you to add to your personal lexicon. 
Did I make some of them up?
Maybe.
But that doesn't mean they're not floopy terms!


Talk to you later!


Oh, before I go, there's my standard reminder about the poll up there on the right, and another thing: 
The Coffin Hop.
Next month, during Halloween week, several authors who have dabbled in the Horror genre will be opening up their blogs and websites with games, contests, and Halloween tales to chill your blood. All participating sites will be available through links at the Master site, which you will be able to get to through that web badge at the top of this page.
 I haven't decided yet if I will be a participating site. This isn't a blog dedicated to my writing per se, and definitely not to my fiction or Horror, but I may try to take a week and have some fun with the Hop.
Anyway.
If you like scary things (and who, during the month of October doesn't like scary things?) please, check it out. The badge up there will be an available gateway to the Hop through Halloween 2011.
Help a body out, won't you?


Okay, it's a bit later, and I'm back. It seems I misread the info on the Coffin Hop, and they don't want us to push the promotion until October 15th. I pulled the badge from the top of the page, so you can stop looking for it for now. But starting on the 15th of October, the badge will be back, the gateway will be open, and you will have the chance to see the work of quite a few excellent authors who at least dabble, and sometimes more than dabble, in the genre of Horror. 


Whups!

1 comment:

  1. ... I know how *grinching* feels.

    And it feels wonderful.
    Like receiving beautiful flowers delivered in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, for no particular reason, from Someone Special... just because they decided to send flowers.

    Yeah, like that.

    ReplyDelete