Thursday, June 30, 2011

Oh, Snap! Come to my Macaroni Party…

This evening, after I cut the grass but before I washed the kitchen floor, I stopped and watched 'The Regular Show' with Handsome. For those of you who have never seen 'The Regular Show', IMDB describes it as 'the daily surreal adventures of a blue jay and raccoon duo that attempts to deal with their mundane jobs as groundskeepers at the local park'.
In this episode the raccoon gets a catchy summertime song stuck in his head. He's singing it constantly, and driving those around him crazy. If you've read my blog post titled Earworm, you know that happens to me all the time. I looked over at Handsome and said "I bet that's what it's like to live with me, huh?"
He looked at me, dead serious, and said "Yes. And it's really, really annoying."
"Okay, okay, I get it," I said. We went back to watching the show.
In the show, and I actually quite like this story concept, the song takes on a life of its own. It manifests itself outside the raccoon's head, becoming a visible yet intangible character all its own, and now it was following and annoying everyone in the show all by itself. In order to combat it, the characters in the show write their own highly catchy amazingly inane song, get a band together, and play this new song at the summertime song in a strange and surreal battle of the bands. The catchiness of their new song beats the summertime song into submission, and it fades away. Their new song was basically a continuous repetition of the words "Oh snap! Come to my macaroni party then we'll take a nap!"
We watch the show to its conclusion, and then Handsome went in the bathroom while I got ready to wash the kitchen floor. I was in the hall when the bathroom door opened and Handsome emerged. He was singing quietly to himself, and he got as far as "Oh snap, come to my macaroni party —"
"Aha!"
He looked up to find me pointing an accusing finger in his direction, a delighted smile on my face.
"All I –"
"Aha!"
"But Dad, all I –"
"Aha!"
"But –"
"Aha!"
Aggravated with me for not letting him talk, Handsome stomped up the hall into his mother's room. He went in, and slammed the door behind him. I stood, still pointing the finger, only now it was pointing at the closed door. I stayed that way for perhaps 30 seconds. The smile was still on my face as I shouted, one last time, "Aha!"

Still smiling, I started washing the kitchen floor.
Fun is where you find it!

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment