Monday, April 30, 2012

Allowances

There's less than a week to weigh in on my poll! It's just to the right, and all it takes is two clicks to give me some reader feedback about how often I should be blogging. Please, I'd love to hear what you think on the matter!




...and on with the blog!


Handsome informed me over the weekend that he was starting to do chores for an allowance again.

“Uh-huh,” I said.

The last time we tried this, it was my idea, and it didn’t go very well. They weren’t huge chores, just keeping his room and the TV room clean, and emptying out the dishwasher every once in a while. No taking out the trash, no walking the dog, not even any vacuuming the house — just keeping it ready for me to vacuum. Nothing outside the house, either, like cutting the grass, although at the time he negotiated with his mother to get a little cash for raking the yard. That didn’t work out too well for him. In less than a week I was back to raking the yard myself, his chores fell through, and we were making him get up and do most of them anyway. That’s the way we told him it was: if he kept up on them on his own, or mostly on his own, they were his chores and he was earning his allowance. If, however, we had to track him down and ask him again and again to get things done, it wouldn’t count.

So for a while now we’ve been making him do these things anyway, with no cash involved. This time, he’s come to us (his mother, really) with the idea, and once again is looking for extra things to do for ‘overtime’. He claims he’s all kinds of gung-ho about it this time, and here I was, getting all ready to give him a dig about it. Just because he’s him and I’m me. Something along the lines of “Okay, let’s see how long this will last,” or “Let’s see if you can make it a whole week this time.”

And then he looks at me with those big blue eyes and says he really needs the money.

“Why? What are you looking to get?”

“My friend, MM, I know he just had his birthday, and it’s like nine months ‘til his birthday comes around again, but what I want to get him is really expensive.”

Selflessness? Darn it! 

Those big blue eyes, that sweet sentiment… I can’t make fun of him now!

Curses! Foiled again!

But he’s so sweet!

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment