Friday, January 6, 2012

The Mouse

Since I've moved home with the Parents, I've tried hard to be somewhat invisible, like a mouse. I do my laundry in the middle of the night (usually) to try to keep them from finding the machine in use when they want it. I try to leave no mess in the kitchen, and as often as I can I leave no discernible evidence that I was in there to begin with. I try to be as considerate as I can, and that includes checking with Mom to find out if my nocturnal activity bothers her or keeps her awake. I've tried asking Dad if he hears me too, but since he can't even hear me asking the question, I figure I'm okay.

I asked Mom about my television, which I sometimes turn on at 2:00 am, and play a DVD to fall asleep to.

Nope. She said she doesn't hear a thing.

I asked her about my printer, which is sitting right here beside me, when I've tried running something off between midnight and 1:00 am. It's pretty quiet, but it is a printer in the middle of the night.

Nope. She said she doesn't hear a thing.

I asked her about it when I started recording a few of my published stories into an audio CD for a friend of mine who's blind. I was trying to take advantage of the silence afforded me by dint of being the only one stirring in the house to get a nice clean recording. There I was, speaking full volume into a headset, with emotion, at 2:00 in the morning, with Mom trying to sleep right across the hall.

Nope. She said she didn't hear a thing.

Then I got sick earlier this week. I had stuff in me that moved from my head to my chest and back again, and now seems to have settled down with dual citizenship. I've been hacking up bits of stuff for a few days, and just assuming I was okay in the noise department. But when I got home with Handsome this evening there was a small bottle waiting for me on the foot of my bed. Handsome scooped it up and asked me what it was. As I said, it was a small bottle, and I had to look closely to make out the label.

Assured
Immediate Acting
Mucus Relief
                       expectorant


... so much for my being so quiet. Here I sit. The Mouse that Coughed.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment