Sunday, January 29, 2012

Growing Up Giggles

Handsome and I went to the roller rink again today. We got there, got all skated up, and were out there on the floor, circling left, and left, and left, like some seriously low-cost Nascar knockoff. As we skated, I would occasionally lose sight of Handsome. I'd look about for him, and eventually find him skating right behind me. he was making a game of following me as closely as he could, weaving in and out among the other skaters as he tailed me.

That's fun, I thought, but I wish he'd find someone else to skate with, find some friends here.


Then, sometime later, I lost sight of him again. I looked about; no Handsome. I looked behind me; no Handsome. Eventually I found him out by the video games talking with another boy his age. The other boy skated off as I skated up.

"What's up?" I said.

"That's J," Handsome answered. "He used to go to my school, but he doesn't any more. I'm going to skate with him."

"Oh. Ok."

Handsome went to meet him and they skated off together, weaving about in the crowd of skaters circling endlessly on the hardwood rink. I watched them go by a few times, then I jumped into the crowd. I skated up behind Handsome. I stayed low, making myself no taller than he is, and tailed him closely through the people. J turned back to say something to Handsome and spotted me. His eyes widened, and he pointed back toward me. Handsome turned back, saw me, and gave me a nonchalant wave. Then he turned away from me and skated a little faster, catching up with J.

"That's just my Dad," I heard him explain, in a very matter-of-fact, I'm-too-cool-to-hang-out-with-my-Dad way. "I wish he'd find someone else to skate with."

I cruised to a stop, chuckling, as they skated on.

Be careful what you wish for, I thought.

Then I went off to talk to the odd little guy who skates at the rink every single day, as far as I can tell.

Somewhere, I'm pretty sure I heard God giggling.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment