Monday, January 23, 2012

If It Dies Again, Call Again

 I work for the United States Postal Service, the largest (in number of employees) business in the world. So this morning, when I went out on the road to deliver my route, I had some expectations. I expected to have the opportunity to do my job with the right equipment, the proper equipment to do my job properly. Imagine my surprise when, at my 3rd delivery of the day my truck should die. No coughing, no dramatic puffs of smoke, or grinding, it just refused to start. No clicks, no whirring, no nothing.

Silence.

Well, we're the USPS, right? We should be able to handle this little hiccup, right?

No worries.

So I called the office and told my supervisor what was going on and exactly where I was.

“I'll be right out,” he said.

He sounded confident, so I felt confident. I sat and waited. I imagined (and since in the past 20 years I had been in a postal truck or two that had broken down before, I felt I had a good idea of what to expect) Boss coming out in his own car followed by one of the custodians in a postal truck. I imagined us shifting the truckload of mail out of my truck and into the working vehicle, and then I'd be in my way as the other two went back to the office in Boss's car to call the tow truck.

That's what I imagined.

Now you can imagine my surprise when Boss showed up all alone in his own car and started to shake out his jumper cables.

“There are no spare vehicles?” I said.

“Nope,” he answered, popped the hoods and connected the cables. He started his car, we waited a minute, and I started my mail truck. It started right away, like there was nothing wrong.

No bubbles, no troubles, right?

Boss coiled up his jumper cables and stowed them in his trunk, told me to let it run for 5 minutes or so before I tried to go anywhere, and got into his car.

“So, what,” I called, “if it dies again, just call again?”

“Yeah,” he said. “That'll work.”

Largest business in the world. Hand-held computers and GPS tracked vehicles.

"If it dies again, just call again."

We're doomed.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment