Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Great Communicator

Last night there was a parent's meeting about the wrestling program Handsome is interested in joining. I got out of work and tore to the house to take a quick shower and see him before I went to the meeting for 7:00.
"I'm just here for a quick bite and a shower and I'm going to head out," I whispered to him. I still have laryngitis (See yesterday's post), so a whisper is pretty much all I can manage.

"Are you going to come back?" he whispered in return.

"Wait a minute," I whispered. "I have to whisper. My voice is gone. You don't have to whisper, you can talk!" (the exclamation point does not denote volume, merely emphatic whispering)

"Sorry," he said, with more or less normal volume. "I can't seem to help it. If someone whispers to me I have to whisper back!"

So we had our strange conversation, me whispering and him whispering about half the time. I ate, took a shower, and went to the meeting. After the meeting I simply went home rather than going back to Handsome's. As I explained in our strange conversation, I was tired and did not feel well, and I couldn't very well read him a story if I couldn't talk.

When I got home, I decided to call him up and tell him goodnight, and that I had a lot of information about wrestling for him. Wife put him on the phone, and I heard a nice, clear "Hello?"

"Hi Handsome," I whispered as clearly as I could. "I just wanted to call and say goodnight. I have a whole lot to tell you and Mommy about the wrestling program, but I think I'll wait until I'm there tomorrow to tell you since I think it's easier to understand me face-to-face."

There was a long pause, and then he whispered "What?"

I did not know this, but apparently when I laugh hysterically in the middle of a bout of laryngitis I sound very much like Ernie from Sesame Street.

Now I know.

Talk to you later! (Maybe... or maybe I'll just whisper to you...)

No comments:

Post a Comment