Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fallback Position

Today's Earworm: The Munster's Theme.

I tried to think of something to blog about from today, but I failed miserably. This means I'm going to drop into my 'fallback position'. For those of you who haven't been paying attention, that means a blog about Handsome.

I have to be careful now, since as I sat down to write this I discovered that Handsome has started his own Facebook account. This means that when I post my daily link to WYMOP on my FaceBook wall, Handsome will get the link as well. He might actually start to read these things!
* * * * * * * * * *

Handsome is definitely growing up.

Last year, when we went and got him his football gear he was all excited, and he acted it. He couldn't wait to get home and put on the jersey, and he wanted to wear the helmet to bed. We had to hurry home so he could suit up and walk around the house. He spent the evening after we got him his football equipment sitting on the couch and watching television with his helmet on.

This year it's not football, but wrestling, so I knew it was going to be a little different. I was surprised,  though, at how much more casual Handsome was about it all. I took him out on Sunday to get a pair of wrestling shoes and protective headgear. He tried on the shoes, and he tried on the headgear, but he was completely cool about it. It was no big deal. We tried the headgear until we found some I could adjust down enough to fit him properly, and that was comfortable. And that was that. It all went in the shopping bag, and I heard no more about it as we went food shopping for better than an hour.

When we got home it was the same deal. It was in the bag, and he put the bag on the table and started to walk away. I had to flag him down and ask him to show the new equipment to his mother. He did it with a minimum of protest, but there was protest; it was like he could have cared less. Practically a teen-age attitude. Total cool.

His mother and I put the groceries away, and I set up my laptop on the dining room table as I usually do. Then I went looking for Handsome. I can't remember exactly why I went looking for him, but I did. I strode up to the TV room door, which was closed, opened it on the fly and just walked right in.

There, on the couch watching television, was Handsome.

Wearing his wrestling headgear.

I stopped dead, looking at him with what felt like a huge grin on my face. His eyes eventually left the television and rolled sideways to focus on me. The first thing he noticed was my smile, and he sat up a little straighter.

"What?"

That's my boy.

Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment