Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Earworm

Happy Tuesday! 
I know it's almost over, but what do you want, I just got home.
I just got home, and all day long I've had an earworm. An earworm, for those of you who have never heard the term, is what some people call it when you have song stuck in your head. I'd never heard the term, or not known what it was, until recently when a good friend of mine used it. Since I have songs stuck in my head almost all the time, I was glad to have something nice and neat to call it.
Earworm.
I like that.
If you know me, if you've ever spent any real time with me, then you know I'm singing all the time. Now that I think about it, this may be the reason I don't have that many friends... anyway, I tend to get songs stuck in my head. Today it was... I can't believe I'm going to tell anyone this... today it was "Karma Chameleon". Yup. Boy George, Culture Club, the whole deal.
Here's the real problem: I never know all the words to the songs I get stuck in this head of mine. Today I spent the whole day just singing "Karma karma karma karma, karma chameleon, you come and go, you come and go...", again and again... and again.
It could be worse. A friend at work, who used to work right next to me in the building, knew just how easy it was to get me stuck on a song like a broken record, and he used to have fun with it. I'll call him Jimmy D for the moment. Jimmy D used to try to get obscure stuff stuck in my head. Songs I had never heard of before, songs from before I was born, stuff like that. 
Jimmy D's greatest triumph was the day, a few years ago, when he got the song "I Touch Myself" by The Divinals stuck in there. Right before I took my route out onto the street. Not really listening to myself, as I tend to do, I went blithely out to deliver my route. Quite early in my day at the time, I delivered to some elderly housing. I still do. But on this particular day I got about 3/4 through the development before realizing that I was walking by some quite elderly ladies' open windows (it was summertime) and opening their mail slots to slide the mail through while singing " I don't want anybody else, When I think about you I touch myself. I don't want anybody else, Oh no, oh no, oh no...". Audibly. Quite audibly.
Terrific.
The friend of mine who gave me the term "earworm" also said she had a cure. She claims that the Gilligan's Island theme is it, that it knocks other songs right out of your head. I tried it today, once I realized just how stuck I was on "Karma Chameleon". She was right. Boy George was knocked right out of my head.
The problem now is that I know all the words to "Gilligan's Island".
Terrific.
Ready?
Juuuust sit right back and you'll hear a tale, the tale of a fateful trip, that started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailing man, the skipper brave and sure....
*sigh*
You think it's easy, being me?
Oh, before I go... that time I unknowingly sang "I Touch Myself" to a series of septuagenarian ladies? When it came to Christmastime, it turned out to be my best tip year ever!


Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment